Thursday, January 31, 2013

Attributes of God

Over the past month, I have had opportunity to reflect on the previous year. I've come to realize that 2012 was a year in which God demonstrated grace, mercy, and love in my life. These are attributes of God that I really hadn't experienced quite like I did in 2012. When you spend a lot of time with someone, you really get to know them on a much deeper level. That holds true for God as well.

It was during this time of reflection that God impressed upon my heart that He wanted to show me another one of His attributes in 2013. I believe that attribute will be His awesome power. I have already seen glimpses of His power in 2012 as He interceded for me in ways I hadn't expected. But it's very exciting to anticipate and actively watch for God to reveal His power around me. 

I decided to do some research and compiled a list of Bible verses which clearly demonstrates these characteristics of God. As I finished typing all of these, I couldn't help but be a little overwhelmed by it all. To simply read this list is to get just a tiny glimpse into what God is really like. We can't handle knowing much more than that. Remember Moses' face when he left God's presence? (Exodus 34:29

So, I invite you to read these and let them soak into your soul. Beside each scripture reference, I've summarized the verse. 

Attributes of God's Grace, Mercy, and Love

Deut 7:7-9  Just because He loves you

Deut 10:15-18  He chose you

Deut 33:12  God surrounds him with His loving care

1Chr 16:34  He is good. His love and kindness go on forever

Neh 9:17  He is a God of forgiveness, always ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to become angry, and full of love and mercy

Ps 63:3  His love and kindness is better to me than life itself

Ps 86:15  He is full of constant lovingkindness

Ps 100:5  He is always loving and kind, and His faithfulness goes on and on

Ps 103:8  He is merciful and tender to those who don’t deserve it

Ps 119:64  The earth is full of your lovingkindness

Ps 145:8  He is full of love

Isa 63:7-9  In His love and pity He redeemed them and lifted them up and carried them through all the years

Jer 31:3  I have loved you with an everlasting love; with lovingkindness I have drawn you unto me

Lam 3:22-26  The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for Him

Dan 9:9  The Lord our God is merciful

John 3:16  God loved the world so much that He gave His only son

Rom 5:8-11  God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us

Gal 2:20  The Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me

Eph 1:6  He has poured out His favor on us

Eph 2:4-10  He loved us so much…only by His undeserved favor have we ever been saved

Titus 3:3-7  He saved us, not because we were good enough to be saved, but because of His kindness

1John 4:9; 5:11-13  God showed how much He loved us…He has given us eternal life
Rev 21:4  He will wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, no sorrow, nor crying, nor pain. All of that has gone forever


Attributes of God’s Power


Gen 17:1  I am the Almighty

Gen 18:14 Is there anything too hard for God?

Deut 32:39  I alone am God.

2Chr 20:6  He is the only God in all the heavens

Ps 33:6-11  He merely spoke and the heavens were formed

Ps 115:3  He does as He wishes

Ps 135:6  He does whatever pleases Him

Isa 14:24-27  The Lord, the God of battle, has spoken—who can change His plans?

Isa 40:28  God…never faints or grows weary

Isa 43:13  From eternity to eternity I am God; No one can oppose what I do

Jer 32:17,27  Nothing is too hard for Him

Matt 19:26  But with God, everything is possible

Luke 1:37  Every promise from God shall surely come true

Luke 18:27  God can do what men can’t

Rom 8:31  If God is on our side, who can ever be against us?

Rev 19:6  Then I heard again what sounded like the shouting of a huge crowd, or like the waves of a hundred oceans crashing on the shore, or like the mighty rolling of great thunder, “Praise the Lord. For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.



No comments: