Monday, January 13, 2014

Endurance

I've mentioned before on this blog that whenever the Lord is teaching me something and then I write about it, I can usually expect a test to follow. Last week was one of those weeks.


Last week I wrote about praising God through the trials. Uh-huh...I bet you can see where this is headed. Every time I turned around it seemed one more thing was going wrong. Most of the issues ranged from minor to major annoyances such as: frozen/burst water line, pet rescue problems, a family member's health crisis hundreds of miles away, car issues, and work deadlines.

I try to keep things in perspective, though. As far as problems go, these were all manageable even though they were coming at like waves at the seashore--each one got a little larger. I kept my sense of humor early on. I kept praising God in the midst of it and was amazed at how He worked out many details. As the week wore on, the wearieness set in and the fussing. (For those who don't live in the South, fussing is another way to say complaining.) Finally an emotional cry out to God to carry me became necessary. I seriously needed Him to take over in the places where I could no longer do anything but pray and and asked for strength to keep going. I have to say that the problems didn't magically stop, but God was faithful to answer my prayer.


My One Word for 2014: Endurance.

I chose this word shortly after the new year began. Little did I know that I would be applying that so soon! This word comes from a Bible passage that I've come to love.

Hebrews 10:35-36


So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. 
Remember the great reward it brings you!  
Patient endurance is what you need now, 
so that you will continue to do God’s will. 
Then you will receive all that he has promised.


The official definition of endurance is...

::: the ability to do something difficult for a long time
::: the ability to deal with pain or suffering that continues for a long time

As I look back at where I've been and forward to the year ahead of me, I believe endurance will be required. Here we go into 2014!





1 comment:

Kristi said...

Whew, girl! I read your blog post last week. I know your word for the year and the events of last week. I hadn't thought of them as being the trial/test for what you wrote upon!!

I love this definition of endurance -- patience concentrated. And that it is pictured with a long distance runner. I have learned a lot on my long runs.

Love you friend, Kathleen