Sunday, November 16, 2014

Thankfulness. . . 'tis the season to share it

As we inch closer and closer to Thanksgiving, we are reminded that the season is more than just family get-togethers and meal-planning or the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. I enjoy reading posts on Facebook and blogs from people who share all the things for which they are thankful.

Today I sat in a church service with people who have been my family for more than 20 years. We've grown up together, laughed together, grieved and cried together, and worshiped together. Each year we take time near Thanksgiving to allow anyone who wishes to share an opportunity to publicly say what it is they are thankful for.

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good,
For His lovingkindness is everlasting. 
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so.  
Psalm 107:1-2a

It's a sweet time to hear how God is working in the lives of others. It strengthens our faith to hear how God has provided during the year.

As I think back through this year, I am ever so grateful to see how God has worked in my own life and my family's life. At the beginning of this year I was part of a Bible study called "Believing God" by Beth Moore. It was no coincidence that I was deep into this study when I needed to believe God for some miracles in my own life and that of my family. My faith was stretched as I came to a point where I had no answers of my own and had to simply trust God to work things out. This quote from Streams in the Desert really illustrates this point well:

Remember, the very time for faith to work is when our sight begins to fail. And the greater the difficulties, the easier it is for faith to work, for as long as we can see certain natural solutions to our problems, we will not have faith. Faith never works as easily as when our natural prospects fail. George Mueller

As I came to the end of my own resources and natural solutions, I turned to God and asked Him to step in and take over. I have watched Him work in surprising and wonderful ways. 


Yes, I give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!  

No comments: