Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Purpose

What's the point? What's my purpose on this earth? What's the purpose of all these trials?

Have you ever pondered those questions? If you're like 99% of the population, you probably have. I confess to wondering this myself from time to time.


This word purpose has come to my attention several times in recent days. It's come in different contexts and from different sources. I always try to pay attention when I begin to notice something being repeated many times. Oftentimes I've discovered God is trying to teach me something.

I began to do a little digging. I read some Scripture which referenced purpose and I read some sermon notes about God's purpose. If you're interested in some of the material I read, use this link to InTouch.org.

All of that information was helpful, but what it really boils down to (at least for me) comes from lyrics to a song that's been on my mind recently. The song is called Jesus, Lover of My Soul (It's All About You). [If you're not familiar with the song, you can look it up on YouTube.]

What's the purpose?
     It's all about Jesus.
          It's all about His glory and His fame.
                It's not about me.

Yes, I need to say that again. It's NOT about me.

When I get all caught up in my problems, my wants and desires, and wondering What in the world good can come from this? I need to remember that it's not about me, but God has a plan and a purpose for everything.

"We know that God causes all things to work together
 for good to those who love God, 
to those who are called according to His purpose."  
Romans 8:28

Genesis 50:20 says: "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." Those were Joseph's words to his family after they had been reunited. Joseph had a very dysfunctional family and lived through some really tough circumstances for many, long years. But God intervened and turned a bad situation into a good one. It didn't happen overnight, either. Joseph saw this all in hindsight. 



No comments: