Sunday, November 18, 2012

Resistance is Futile

Captain Picard as a Borg Drone (Please refer to copyright information below)

As I've written on this blog before, I am a fan of Star Trek. I recently watched a number of these movies during a marathon so perhaps that's why I am drawing on Star Trek as an example for today's post.

If you are unfamiliar with Star Trek (I pity you) the Borg is a fictional alien species who attempts to achieve perfection by assimilating humans and any cybernetic organism into their collective. This species and their advanced capabilities became quite a foe for the Star Trek crew. Their introduction to everyone--before assimilation--was this line, "Resistance is futile." In other words, we have plans to assimilate you, we will accomplish it, and any efforts to resist this effort is futile. So you might as well just believe it.

Have I lost you yet? Stay with me here.

This Borg phrase came to mind recently as I was pondering the issue of keeping the faith. There are many times when I want to believe in God's promises but when it takes so long to see something happening, my faith begins to waver. I begin to have doubts, especially if I do not see any progress. I'm such a visual person that if I don't see something, I have a hard time grasping it. If I see someone building a brick wall, I can look at it going up brick-by-brick and know that at some point that wall will be finished. But, God often works behind the scenes and I don't see the bricks going up. Translated in my brain, Nothing is happening.

This year has been all about faith-building for me. Simply put: Trusting God in every area of my life. If God has told me something that aligns with scripture, I believe it...until my faith wavers. God reminded me that if I believe it, then I need to live like I believe it. Then He reminded me of Hebrews 11:1...

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for 
will actually happen; it gives us assurance 
about things we cannot see.

I have always liked this verse but it takes on a special meaning right now as I walk out this faith. Where does the Borg come into all of this? Glad you asked. I'm getting there.

When I go on reading the remainder of Hebrews chapter 11, I have the opportunity to read about all the ordinary people of the Bible who walked out their faith and were commended by God. This chapter is typically referred to as The Hall of Faith. We tend to look at this people as extraordinary individuals with lots more faith than us. Maybe. Or maybe they started out just like us. But they believed God and trusted Him, stepping out in faith. Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses all have some amazing examples faith and trust in God. They were willing to believe, to surrender, and to follow God based on a promise. They didn't know how God was going to work things out. 

All these people earned a good reputation
 because of their faith, yet none of them received 
all that God had promised.
--Hebrews 11:39

True, not all of these people actually got to see their promise fulfilled. But that doesn't mean God didn't honor His promise.

So, Resistance is Futile.

Why am I resisting (not believing)? After reading about all of these great people of faith, how can I not believe? To not believe would be futile. And, to rephrase what I said earlier...
     God has plans,
          He will accomplish it,
               so I might as well just believe it.   

God is good.

What are you believing God for today?
   





The Borg image is a low-resolution screenshot of a copyrighted television program or station ID. As such, the copyright for it is most likely owned by the company or corporation that produced it. This image is being used only to identify the subject for commentary purposes and qualifies as fair use under United States copyright law. Any other uses of this image, might be copyright infringement. The image will be removed from this website should the copyright holder request. I will "make it so."

No comments: