Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Forgetfulness

The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? 
How long will they refuse to believe in me,
in spite of all the signs I have performed among them
~ Numbers 14:11

I was reminded this week of how forgetful I can be. Not forgetful in the sense that car keys are always misplaced or appointments missed. Forgetful in not remembering what God has done.

As the Israelites traveled from Egypt to the Promised Land, the trip was very difficult. It was a very long trip through rough terrain and desert lands. However, in the midst of that journey, God brought them to a place called Elim. 

Elim was a beautiful little spot in the wilderness that had refreshing water and date palms (Ex. 15:27). It was an oasis in the wilderness. Imagine being weary and thirsty from the dry and brown desert. Suddenly before them was this lush, green spot with lots of water. It would be a little like spending the night in a five-star hotel after a grueling 14-hour road trip with 4 active kids in the car. What a treat! God was refreshing the Israelites for the journey that was still ahead of them.  


Sometimes my journey gets arduous, dry, grueling. I look forward to arriving at my destination but my spirits begin to wane during the journey. During these times is when God provides an Elim for me. It's a place where God gives me exactly what I need to strengthen me, encourage me, and nourish me for the journey ahead.

This week the Lord reminded me that keeping track of these "Elims" is very important. It's imperative to write down these moments when God has provided, intervened, and performed miracles on my behalf. When the journey begins to get tough again, I can look back at my Elims and know that God is always there with me. 

Like the Israelites, I can easily forget what the Lord has done when I'm totally focused on the problems of my present circumstances. God reminds me to remember what He has done.  

When we are confused about what God is doing, remember what God has done. ~ Unknown 

2 comments:

Beloved said...

Kristi,
I am thankful for God's reminders, and thankful that I found your blog.
Thank you for being a blessing.
Peace and good to you.

laughwithusblog said...

It's hard for me to keep that bigger picture in mind too. I am so thankful for God's patience with me. http://www.laughwithusblog.com/