Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wandering?

Have you ever been in a place in your life that you know is where God wants you to be but you wonder why? Perhaps you were on a path and God suddenly changed the path before you. Each path could take you to the destination that God has planned for you, but...
  • this new path is overgrown with thorn bushes,
  • it's a circuitous route,
  • it's frustrating at times,
  • it's boring (because you just know the other path must be better).
Wait! How did I get here?

Oh, that's right. In God's Sovereignty. He can see the big picture and He knows me so very well. I may not enjoy the longer path, but I can appreciate that He has a plan and has my back.

So, check this out:



Israel’s Wilderness Detour

When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land. God said, “If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea. Thus the Israelites left Egypt like an army ready for battle.  Exodus 13:17-18

If you are familiar with this passage, you remember that it took many, many tries to get the Israelites out of Egypt in the first place. When Pharaoh finally let them go, he chased them and that's where we all remember the parting of the Red Sea. The story does not end there. The Israelites celebrated one victory and thought they were home free.  The quick route to the Promised Land would have been the obvious choice. But God [I could just put a period right here] knew the Israelites would become afraid by traveling through the land of the giant Philistines. They would want to turn around and go back to Egypt. Instead, this long and circuitous route prepared the Israelites, taught them, and challenged them.

If you, like me, find yourself on a different path, stop and consider that God may have you in this place for a reason. He may be preparing you for the Promised Land.
 

1 comment:

katlupe said...

I think you wrote this post for me! I am on a new path, or about to, and I am scared of it. Maybe it was meant to be, even though it is not something I want to do. Your post has me looking at it in a different light now. Thank you!