Monday, May 28, 2012

Stay Ahead of the Ants

Recently, I got up one morning and walked downstairs to get a pot of coffee started. I was also carrying a load of laundry, so I stopped off by my washing machine to leave the basket of laundry. After I sat the basket down, I noticed something quite odd in the hallway on the carpet. Was it a spider? Hmmm. Something black looking that wasn't there the night before.

I turned on a light to investigate further. YIKES! A whole pile of ants crawling on top of something--probably a crumb of some sort that was dropped the night before. 


You see, I think my neighborhood was built on top of a giant ant-hill! Ever since I moved into this house, I have had to be diligent about keeping the ants from coming inside my house. My neighbors have reported similar problems. Winter is the only season that I don't have to worry about ants. But, as soon as the weather begins to warm up, it's time to be prepared. Not only do I put out the ant traps and spray around my home, I also must be careful to clean up after myself and not leave anything tempting for the ants. Any tiny, innocent crumb left lying around can quickly become a huge problem.

There's a lesson to be learned here about our own lives. A seemingly tiny, innocent little crumb can quickly become food for the Enemy. Our Enemy, Satan, is always nearby and waiting for that little morsel you've dropped so he can pounce on it. What starts out as a small thing can quickly become a huge problem.

We need to stay prepared. We need to put on the full armor of God, daily. We also need to stay in constant awareness of these little crumbs that may have fallen at our feet. Sweep them up with prayer and confession, if needed. We don't need to help the Enemy by giving him something to grab onto.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against
the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
but against the rulers, against the authorities, 
against the powers of this dark world 
and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 
 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, 
you may be able to stand your ground, 
and after you have done everything, to stand.  
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, 
with the breastplate of righteousness in place,  
and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, 
with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. 
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
~ Ephesians 6:10-18

 

No comments: