Sunday, April 15, 2012

Be Still and Know

The phrase Be Still and Know that I am God has been a recurring theme in my life over the past few weeks. I cannot count how many times and from how many different sources this passage has come up. Do you think God was trying to tell me something? I got the hint after the first few times. Since then, I've been meditating on that phrase a whole lot. In fact, I often listen to Steven Curtis Chapman's song Be Still and Know which is based on this verse. These eight words from Psalm 46:10 have been a great source of comfort and peace.

Be Still. The Hebrew root to this phrase is Rapha (Healer). Essentially we are to:
... Cease Striving
... Cause Yourself to Let Go
... Let Yourself Become Weak
... Surrender; Die to Self

But then what?

...and Know that I am God. Okay. I already knew that in theory and in my heart. But the word know implies intimate knowledge. I have to spend time with and acknowledge that God is who He says He is. And what's the whole point of being still? So that I will know that God is in control. If I am striving, not being still, and trying to figure out what to do next, when am I spending quality time with God? To know Him? To listen to Him? To learn about Him?

So, by becoming weak and dying to myself, I give God an opportunity to work and receive the glory. He gets to be God, the Divine Ruler of this Universe. I start trusting in Him and stop trusting in myself. I get to rest in the shelter of His wings. Rest is healing and...Ahh, Peaceful.

No comments: