Thursday, April 26, 2012

We are the Clay

Thought I'd share just a little something God showed me this week.

But now, O LORD, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand. -- Isaiah 64:8 (NASB)

 “O Israel, can I not do to you as this potter has done to his clay? As the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand. -- Jeremiah 18:6 (NLT)

“What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator.
    Does a clay pot argue with its maker?
Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying,
    ‘Stop, you’re doing it wrong!’
Does the pot exclaim,
    ‘How clumsy can you be?’
How terrible it would be if a newborn baby said to its father,
    ‘Why was I born?’
or if it said to its mother,
    ‘Why did you make me this way?’”
This is what the Lord says—
    the Holy One of Israel and your Creator:
“Do you question what I do for my children?
    Do you give me orders about the work of my hands?
I am the one who made the earth
    and created people to live on it.
With my hands I stretched out the heavens.
    All the stars are at my command. -- Isaiah 45:9-12  (NLT)

When a potter begins to make his creation, he already has something in mind with an eye on the end result.  He works carefully and methodically to shape the clay.  Sometimes the clay conforms readily into that new shape.  Other times, the shaping process may cause the clay to bend at which point the potter will begin the process again.  The clay may bend but the potter doesn't give up.

God is the Potter.  I am the clay.  It's God's responsibility to shape me into the vessel He has in mind.  It's not my responsibility.  I only need to be willing and pliable, resting in the Potter's hands.

Imagine the clay deciding for itself that it should become a plate when the Potter already decided the clay should become a beautiful vase.  Seems absurd to think that, but how many times do we try to make these decisions for ourselves? 

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. -- Philippians 1:6 (NLT)

No comments: