Sunday, April 22, 2012

Circumstances of Life

Have you ever been in the middle of a circumstance and tried to figure out...

How did I get here?

How do I get out of it?

I've been reading through the book Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer recently. One point she makes is to not wish yourself out of whatever situation God has placed you in. As believers, we understand that everything that happens to us has first gone through God's hands. (I won't chase that rabbit as meaty as it might be.) Instead of craving to be out of a situation or wishing yourself into another situation, we should ask God to open our eyes to His plans that are already in front of us.

Interesting thought. Stop trying to "fix" the current situation. Cease trying to wiggle out of my current circumstance. Just stop. Wait. Ask God what He wants to do.

Sounds easy enough until current circumstance gets uncomfortable or impatience sets in. Then suddenly I want to take over and fix things again. But if I do that, I may miss out on some good stuff He has planned for me in the current situation. No. I don't want to do that. So we're back to waiting. To wait means to expect.

God blesses those who wait on Him. Check out these verses:

Isaiah 40:31
Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary. 

Psalm 25:5
Lead me in Thy truth and teach me for Thou art the God of my salvation; for Thee I wait all the day.

Psalm 62:1-2
My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.

The last Psalm was written by King David. If anyone knew about waiting it was him. He was anointed as King at the age of 16, but had to wait more than a decade to actually take the position God gave Him those many years ago. He had opportunities to manipulate his circumstances but opted to be obedient to God instead. He lived on the run for many years, fearing for his life. And this is one of the reasons that David is referred to as a man after God's own heart. God desires our obedience, my obedience, even in the midst of current circumstances--whatever it may be.


Note: I recommend the book referenced in this post, but I have not been compensated by the publisher or the author.

No comments: